Mohammad Hashim Kamali, B. A., Law & Political Science, Kabul University, 1965
LLM., Comparative Law, University of London, 1972, Ph.D., University of London. 1976
Current Position: Founding CEO, International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies (IAIS) Malaysia.
Date and Place of Birth: 7 February 1944, Lalpur, Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
Nationality: Afghan and Canadian, Permanent Resident of Malaysia as of 3 April 2003
Marital Status: Married - have two children born in 1976 and 1979 respectively
- Assistant Professor, Kabul University, Faculty of Law and Political Science 1965-66
- Public Attorney, Cassation Court Division, Ministry of Justice, Kabul 1966-67
- Director of Public Prosecution, Faryab, Afghanistan 1967-68
- Language Monitor (Persian, Pashto & Dari), British Broadcasting Corporation, Reading, England 1975-80
- Chief Language Monitor, British Broadcasting Corporation, Reading, England May-Sep 1980
- Assistant Professor, McGill University, Institute of Islamic Studies, Montreal, Canada 1980-84
- Research Associate, Social Sciences and Humanities, Research Council of Canada 1984-85
- Lecturer, International Islamic University Malaysia June 1985-Feb. 1986
- Professor Associate International Islamic University Malaysia Feb. 1986
- Professor International Islamic University Malaysia 1991-2006
- Promotion to Professor in Special Grade A, International Islamic University Malaysia Jun 2000-Aug 2007
- Visiting Professor Capital University, Law & Graduate Center, Columbus, Ohio, USA May-Jul 1991
- Shariah Advisor Securities Commission Malaysia 2004 - todate
- Gerd Bucerius-Fellow der Zeit-Stiftung, Institute for Advance Study Berlin (Wissenschaftskolleg Zu Berlin) 2000-2001
- Constitution Commissioner, Member of the Constitution Review Commission of Afghanistan, and member of its Executive Board May-Sep 2003
- Interim Chairman Constitution Review Commission of Afghanistan Jul-Aug 2003
- Professor & Dean International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization (ISTAC), IIUM Jul 2004-Jun 2006
- Founding Chairman and CEO International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies, Malaysia Sep 07 - todate
- Chairman, CIMB Shariah Committee 2007 - todate
- Senior Fellow, Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia Sep 07 - todate
- Senior Fellow, Aal al-Bayt Royal Institute of Islamic Thought 2005 - todate
- Chairman, Shariah Board, Stanlib Corporation, South Africa 2007 – todate
- Senior Fellow, Afghanistan Academy of Sciences Aug 08 - todate
- Editor-in-chief, Islam and Civilisational Renewal, IAIS Malaysia Oct 2008 – todate
- Non-Executive Director, CIMB Islamic Bank Bhd 2008 – todate
- Senior Fellow International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies (IAIS) Malaysia 2010
- Citizenship and Accountability of Government: An Islamic Perspective. Cambridge: Islamic Text Society 2011. pp. x +321.
- Al-Dalil al-Mubassat fi Maqasid al-shariʿah, being Arabic tr. by Abel al-Latif al-Khayyat of M H Kamali, Maqasid al-shariʿah Made Simple, Beirut: al-Maʿhad al-ʿAlumni li'l-Fikr al-Islami, 1432/2011, pp. 48.
- Monograph entitled, 'Moderation and Balance in Islam: The Qur'ānic Principle of Wasaṭiyyah,' Kuala Lumpur: IAIS Malaysia, 2010. pp iv + 66.
- The Right of Education, Work and Welfare in Islam. Cambridge: Islamic Text Society 2010. pp x + 294.
- Shariah Law: An Introduction. Pashto translation by Nabi Habibi and Abdul Hadi Hagran, May 2009. http//www.rohi.af/fullstory.php?id=3466&CatID=14
- Azadi Bayan, being Persian trans. by M Saeed Hina'i of M H Kamali book, Freedom of Expression in Islam. Tehran, 1381/2009, pp xxi + 200.